Monday 27 September 2010

Mary Jane shoes

There is a chill in the air and summer seems like a memory. But that is fine because I love autumn. It does present sartorial challenges though. My baby is five months old and needs something warm for her A/W 2010 footwear collection. She's got a beautiful pair of bootees thanks to a friend but they don't go with everything, some sort of oversock in a neutral colour was needed.

So here they are:

Her own little Francesca Woodman homage. I love Mary Jane shoes. I had a solo show last year at Prick Your Finger in Bethnal Green called 'Who Is Mary Jane?'. I listened to a lot of songs about Mary Jane and made little dolls each with their own pair of crocheted Mary Janes. It was such a lot of fun, an indulgence of my two great loves: making things and listening to '90s hip hop. You can see it all here.



The pattern was from an old crochet patterns book and then adapted to fit. So versatile for the baby girl about town and most importantly quick to make, these were done in only two episodes of Mad Men.




No comments:

Post a Comment

a year above the shop

a year above the shop