Tuesday 12 March 2013

A quilt for the baby


The other thing I have been making in my time away from the shop is this little fella, baby Nathaniel born five weeks ago:


The embroidered fish piece in the last post made me think how nice it would look as a square in a quilt. At the same time, a good selection of yellow-y fabrics began, as if by magic, to build in my stash. Like, all by themselves.

A trip to Whitstable last summer led to a bit of this:


Which in turn led to a very satisfying and definitely best-done-in-private bit of this:


(I posted these on Instagram hence the filters. The comment was 'I miss my blog'. I really did).

...And before I knew it I had enough for a cot quilt. I always look to Alicia Paulson for spiritual guidance when planning a quilt, and followed the technique she used in her Ollalieberry quilt




I went for fabrics that had a bit of a narrative, like this lovely Heather Ross 'Princess and the Pea' (below) from her Far Far Away range. And the Hansel and Gretel fabric. Not sure what the story is with the Mexican dudes but I'd sure like to know it.


I copied Alicia and used Warm and White wadding this time, all natural and made from hemp and not too artificially light feeling. Perhaps it would also aid sleep...




Nat in progress visible here. The choice of wadding makes it a bit thinner than usual but I am pleased with the result:









A boy! He's a bit small for it yet, in fact he's a bit small for most things yet; but when he graduates from moses basket to cot, the quilt is ready and waiting, with love.


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very impressive lady, Ms Gold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the embroidered fish!!!

    Just above the right lilac-capped toe.....

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no - I meant the left toe - the other right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous! love the quilt, and nat. proper swoony. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous work. Very good to have you back!! Katie x

    ReplyDelete

a year above the shop

a year above the shop