Saturday 8 October 2011

mixy matchy serviettes


This project was mainly an excuse to get some fabrics down from the shelf and play with them, if I'm being honest.



It is really nice, and a bit more grown up, to have cloth serviettes, (or is it correct to say napkins?) but I do not feel grown up when it comes to ironing and washing, so paper it is.




But. What if I made a load of them, and they weren't linen or anything silly like that, and maybe if they were patterned so the odd tiny speck of sauce didn't really show, and well, it would be an excuse to use the rolled hem setting on my overlocker that looks like fun.... so here they are.



Each one is comprised of two 42cm squares of fabric placed wrong sides together. I slipped in a bit of fusibile interlining into the middle. Then overlocked around the edges on a rolled hem setting. I added a line of straight sewing a few centimetres in to hold the lot together. Really easy, the only challenge was finding patterns that contrasted. A nice challenge.


They made their debut last Sunday as we soaked up the last of the heatwave with a barbecue.







At the time of going to press they are drying and not looking too crumpled. I reckon if I maintain my low standards I can get away with not ironing them.


Goodbye summer, hello autumn. How happy I am to see you and your beauty.


2 comments:

  1. Oh those are SUCH lovely serviettes. Would you call it a harlequin set? That barbeque looks utterly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing these makes me want to learn how to use a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete

a year above the shop

a year above the shop