Friday 21 October 2011

Bucking the trend: Library opens

Like many families with young children, made-up stories are very much a feature of our lives, and a part of being a parent I find quite hard. Tell you a story from my head?  Do you realise it is 6.45am? Learn how to make tea and I'll tell you a story.




I usually defer to their dad, who finds the muse quicker than I do. Some of these stories and characters have become part of family life.


For my daughter, a highlight of the trip to the library is having a go at stamping the return date. And so, inspired by this rubber stamp I bought in Lille, we have been playing libraries.


I made a few little books for our library, and this lead naturally to making our own storybooks. Drawing the covers, writing the stories, it was lovely. And a very funny insight into the nearly four-year-old mind:



And so, the little books became a way of recording these stories, a snapshot of a time that will pass before I know it, and doubtless before I am ready.


I used some thin A4 card for the covers, I sliced them across the middle and folded in half. For the pages, I used some A5 coloured paper, though plain would do. 



Folded in half, I found the centre, and using thick thread (tacking or button thread) I sewed the whole together with one large stitch. I finished by tying a really strong knot and trimming off any overlapping edges.






We made little tickets for the inside cover - and for the all-important stamping - and they were finished.


I think she needs to work on sustaining the narrative arc, otherwise great. The Booker prize 2041 is in the bag.












2 comments:

  1. I hear that Jacky & Nobby Get Stuck is a canine, literary tour de force. Lovely post again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so, so cute. I struggle to read a story, let alone come up with ideas for one, before the morning tea. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete

a year above the shop

a year above the shop