Wednesday 17 November 2010

Corners of my home

A seasonal illness has been working its way through the household, taking us all out one by one. So, not much time or energy for making. Boo. But a bit of time to play around with the things on my walls during those long hours quarantined.

A few newly assembled and distinctly orange corners of my home:

a collection of Hungarian plates from my grandmother's kitchen wall, a Hannah Hoch print, a still life painted by my grandfather entitled 'Breakfast Time', a plate painted by Kathie Winkle, an Indian cartoon extolling the virtues of good habits, and a postcard of a wartime poster about the importance of eating fresh food.

L-R: a linocut I made earlier this year: Polly immortalised it here,  'Heligoland' by Massive Attack, a vase from my grandmother's house, a speaker souped up by my uncle Anthony and a glass lamp from my grandmother's house.

Clockwise from the top: a papercut (part of a bigger installation I made for an old exhibition called 'Winter Stories', a clock found in a Brussels flea market, an ink drawing made by Theodore and Kathleen Major, a Kathie Winkle plate, a copy of a Hiroshige woodcut, and a mosaic I made out of crockery backstamps of the Thames.

There is something about the collection. Something that makes images stronger together. Or, maybe it is a case of too much art and not enough walls. Either way, assembling pieces made and found like this suits me as a means for my tastes and acquisitions to be constantly evolving.


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you've been ill, but nice work turning feeling crummy into spiffing up the house! First off, you have some really cool grandparents. The lamp! The still life! The painting caught my eye immediately -- just love it. And I like how you've assembled everything. We just took most of our art down to paint our walls, and I'm stuck with piles of pictures as I mull over how/if I'm going to change things up. Good inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I really love that it is all stuff from several lifetimes' collections, going back generations. Family histories as well newly picked up recycled things; an artist's eye and a social historian's eyes. All beautifully displayed and photographed.

    ReplyDelete

a year above the shop

a year above the shop