Thursday 28 October 2010

Way out west #1: CD covers

Yes yes, falling golden leaves, starting the wood fire,  knitting a snood: these are all well and good. For some, the real signifier of colder weather is to curl up in the warmth and make compilation CDs. Not a playlist, an actual CD.


When it comes to compilations, I am more of a receiver than a giver. But, twice in the coming weeks we head west to dear friends and there will be music - both the listening to, and the talking about -  in abundance. Friend no.1 writes a music blog and you can read his words here. Friend no.2 is so industrious in his output that he has his own section on my shelves.


I had this idea to make some nice covers for compilation CDs. Not just a print out and a nasty bit of plastic that will end up stuck to your foot. But something tangible and beautiful, an object in this digital age. A small thank you for all the ones thrown my way over the years.


I made a template from an existing cover. I got down my box of paper ephemera and the fun began.

Can there be a better way to spend an hour than cutting and sticking?
I think these really worked. As with my favourite projects they are useful, quick, and full of visual potential. Hope they like them.


I am going to add the template (and the freezer paper tutorial) as a downloadable pdf in the next few weeks. 


2 comments:

  1. Lovely - if the quality of the music matches the quality of the covers we'll be up for an audio treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mim, thanks for the thoughtful and beautiful gift! You know I'll put them to good use! I think the covers will influence the music they end up housing...

    ReplyDelete

a year above the shop

a year above the shop